Indulgent strawberry coconut chocolate bars! A sweet strawberry and coconut candy filling; layered between white and dark chocolate. A perfect no bake treat!
Coconut, raspberry and white chocolate is one of my favorite sweet combinations. I wanted to bring these flavors together in an easy recipe, but I only had freeze dried strawberries in my pantry when I initially tested this recipe. Turns out strawberry coconut chocolate bars are pretty darn amazing! Maybe even better than the coconut raspberry version.😉
Disclosure | This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This candy recipe requires a little patience as you have to let the chocolate layers set, but it looks impressive and it's easy to make! The sweetness of the strawberry coconut layer and white chocolate are balanced by the semi-sweet chocolate layer. It would be a perfect Valentine's Day treat!!
HOW DO YOU MELT CHOCOLATE?
I always use a double boiler to melt my chocolate. It's how I was taught and it has always worked for me. My kitchen doesn't have a microwave, so I have never used that method. I did find this helpful article from Taste of Home, How to Melt Chocolate: 5 Easy Ways, if you need some guidance.
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY COCONUT CHOCOLATE BARS
Start by preparing an 8x8 baking pan by lining it with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Do your best to smooth out any wrinkles.
Then melt the chopped semi-sweet chocolate with ½ teaspoon of coconut oil; stirring until completely melted together and smooth. Pour the melted chocolate into the prepared pan. Use an off-set spatula to make a smooth layer of chocolate. Then allow the chocolate to set up. You can place the pan in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes while you prepare the strawberry coconut layer. The chocolate layer needs to be firm before adding the strawberry coconut layer.
HOW TO MAKE THE STRAWBERRY COCONUT LAYER
Start by crushing or grinding the freeze dried strawberries to powder. I use my mini Cuisinart for grinding. You can also crush the strawberries with the back of a spoon, but it takes a little more elbow grease and time. About ¾ cup of the whole dried berries yields a ¼ cup of powder. This measurement doesn't have to be perfect, but should be close to ¼ cup.
Next whip the butter using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or using a hand-held mixer. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the powdered sugar, coconut milk powder, ground freeze dried strawberries and flaked coconut. Mix on low to combine the ingredients. This mixture is dry and crumbly. See this post if you want to know where to buy coconut milk powder.
Then add the evaporated milk and mix on medium until the mixture comes together. Place the strawberry coconut layer over the set up chocolate layer; smooth with an off-set spatula.
Finally you will melt the white chocolate with ½ teaspoon of coconut oil. Again, stir until completely melted and smooth. Then pour the melted white chocolate over the strawberry coconut layer and smooth with an off-set spatula. Let the white chocolate set, you can speed up this process by placing the pan back in the refrigerator.
HOW TO CUT AND STORE THE STRAWBERRY COCONUT CHOCOLATE BARS
If the candy has been in the refrigerator, you will want to let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes or so for the chocolate to soften a little. Use a sharp knife to cut into the desired size. The chocolate layers are firm and the coconut layer is soft so cut slowly and carefully.
Store the candy bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Or freeze them for up to three months.
IN THE MOOD FOR OTHER CANDY RECIPES?
To pin this recipe, you can use the button on the recipe card or the share buttons on the side or bottom of the page. Come follow me on Pinterest and Instagram to see all the things that inspire me. Thank you for being here and happy baking!
- 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate*, chopped
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil
Strawberry coconut layer
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar packed
- ¼ cup freeze dried strawberries**, ground to powder
- ¼ cup coconut milk powder
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoons evaporated milk
White Chocolate Layer
- 8 ounces quality white chocolate, chopped
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil
- Prepare an 8x8 in baking pan by lining it with parchment paper (or aluminum foil), smoothing out any wrinkles.
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate and coconut oil, stirring until completely melted and smooth. Pour the melted chocolate into the prepared baking pan. Spread with an offset spatula into a thin smooth layer. Allow the chocolate to set up; you can speed up the process by placing the baking pan in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes. This layer needs to be set before adding the strawberry coconut layer.
- With a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer, beat butter until softened. Scrape down the bowl and add the powdered sugar, ground freeze dried strawberries, coconut milk powder and shredded coconut. Mix on low to combine. The mixture is dry and powdery.
- With the mixer on low, add in the evaporated milk. Switch the mixer to medium and beat until well combined. You may need to stop and scrape up and down the bowl at some point to make sure everything is well combined.
- Spread the strawberry coconut layer on top of the set chocolate layer in the baking pan. Use an offset spatula to create a (mostly) smooth and even layer.
- Melt the white chocolate and coconut oil, stirring until completely melted and smooth. Pour the melted white chocolate on top of the strawberry coconut layer and allow the white chocolate to set. I place the baking pan back into the refrigerator.
- If the candy has been in the refrigerator, you will want to let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes or so for the chocolate to soften a little. Use a sharp knife to cut into the desired size. The chocolate layers are firm and the coconut layer is soft so cut slowly and carefully.
Store candy bars in the refrigerator or freezer in an airtight container.
*Any type of chocolate will work; semi-sweet, dark or milk. The bars are already sweet with the white chocolate and strawberry coconut so a darker chocolate balances them nicely.
**About ¾ cup of whole (not ground) freezed dried strawberries yields about ¼ cup of ground strawberries. Freeze dried raspberries and blueberries are also wonderful with this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Z Natural Foods Organic Coconut Milk Powder - All Natural Creamer
KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
KitchenAid KHM512BM 5 Speed Hand Mixer, Black Matte
PaperChef Parchment Paper for Baking: Multipurpose Nonstick Parchment Sheets, Oven Safe, No Grease or Butter Needed, Ideal for Cooking and Roasting, Biodegradable, Kosher-Certified (205 sq ft roll)
USA Pan Bakeware Square Cake Pan, 8 inch, Nonstick & Quick Release Coating, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel
Duralex 100010 Made In France Lys Stackable 10-Piece Bowl Set
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 191Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 27mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 1g
The nutrition information is an estimate and may not be entirely accurate.