Soft and chewy oatmeal cookies packed with coconut and chocolate chips. You may never need another oatmeal cookie recipe!
Oatmeal cookies are one of my very favorite types of cookies. They remind me of my childhood. A good sugar cookie will always be my first choice, but an oatmeal cookie is a very close second! I can be quite weary of an oatmeal cookie though because I am not a fan of raisins in my cookies. Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against raisins. I like them on their own, I like them in trail mix, I just don't like them in my baked goods.
I DO like lots of add-ins in my oatmeal cookies. I know coconut is another highly debatable ingredient. I love it. The flavor, the texture, the extra chew factor!! It takes oatmeal cookies to another dimension. If you are a fan of coconut, you definitely need to make these cookies.
I also added chocolate chips to this recipe to give them another flavor element. Milk chocolate just seemed like the right accompaniment, but if you prefer a darker chocolate, that will work fine. Come to think of it, these would be great with white chocolate chips too! If you prefer no chocolate in your oatmeal cookies, this recipe works perfectly fine with the chocolate chips omitted. I've never tried it, but I am 99.9% sure you could sub raisins for the chocolate chips if that is more your style.
Another trick to making these oatmeal, coconut, chocolate chip cookies your new favorite is to use dark brown sugar. I'll admit I don't even buy light brown sugar anymore. It's one of my baking secrets. Trust me on this one; it makes all your baked good taste just a little bit more special. 😉
You will want to chill your dough too. It helps to combine the flavors and keep your cookies from spreading too much during the baking process. I always go a minimum of one hour. I don't cover the dough if I know it will be going in the oven in 1-2 hours. If it will be chilling for longer, cover it with plastic wrap.
If you are looking for a new twist on a classic cookie, then this soft and chewy oatmeal, coconut, chocolate chip cookie recipe is for you!
Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed I prefer dark brown sugar, but light brown works too
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup sweeteened flaked coconut
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- In a medium size bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter and both sugars on medium-high with a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or a hand mixer, until light and fluffy. Approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Scrape down your bowl and add pure vanilla extract, mix until incorporated.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing until well combined. Scrape up and down your bowl again.
- With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture and blend until just combined.
- Fold in oats, coconut and chocolate chips.
- Chill at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare baking sheets with a silpat or parchment paper.
- Using a cookie scoop, place cookie dough on prepared baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, until edges are lightly browned, but centers still look soft and unset.
- Allow to cool on the pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Be sure to tag @twosugarbugs on Instagram and hashtag it #twosugarbugs
Leave a Reply