Coconut, pecans and brown sugar come together in a shortbread crust to create the easiest and most scrumptious coconut pecan tart! It’s the perfect twist on traditional pecan pie.
How the heck did we get to November already?? I feel like this year is moving along at breakneck speed and I’m just trying to keep up. The holiday season is here and I am trying to get myself organized!
One of my favorite things to do in preparation of the holidays is to plan my Thanksgiving and Christmas menus. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays!! I love that the focus is on being grateful, family, friends and food.
Disclosure | This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Today I am sharing one of my favorite EASY holiday desserts, coconut pecan tart. Does making a traditional pie scare you?? If so, coconut pecan tart is perfect for you! No pie crust in sight. Instead this tart base is a simple shortbread.
This mouthwatering tart comes together lickity split and is sure to please your pie loving guests. The pecans, coconut and brown sugar create a gooey and sweet filling which sits nestled in the most delicious shortbread crust.
WHAT MAKES THIS A TART VERSUS A PIE?
A tart is a pastry, typically made with with a shortcrust base and an open filling not covered by more pastry. A tart is usually thinner than a pie. Tarts can be savory or sweet.
HOW TO MAKE THE EASY SHORTBREAD TART SHELL
Once you’ve mixed the dry ingredients, cut in room temperature butter until the dough comes together.
Then press the dough into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Do your best to try and get the dough evenly distributed in the pan. Finally, prick the bottom with a fork and bake for 12-13 minutes until the tart shell is barely browned.
If the baked tart shell has shrunk at all, use a flat bottomed measuring cup to lightly press the dough back up the sides. Use caution as the tart shell will be hot.
PREPARE THE COCONUT PECAN FILLING
While the tart shell is slightly cooling, prepare the coconut pecan filling.
First, lightly beat two eggs with a whisk. Then add the brown sugar and vanilla. Once fully combined, add the coconut, pecans, flour, baking powder and salt and mix until it all comes together.
Pour the filling into the prepared tart shell and bake another 20 – 22 minutes.
Remove the baked tart from the oven and allow to cool. I like to place it on a wire cooling rack. Once cool, dust with additional powdered sugar, if desired.
HOW TO SERVE AND STORE COCONUT PECAN TART
This easy coconut pecan tart is wonderful all on it’s own, but is also fantastic paired with cinnamon ice cream or whipped cream!
Any leftover tart can be covered and stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
CAN YOU FREEZE COCONUT PECAN TART?
Yes! This tart can be prepared up to one month in advance. Once the tart has fully cooled, wrap it tightly and freeze. Allow the tart to defrost overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving.
LOOKING FOR MORE PIE INSPIRATION?
To pin this recipe, you can use the button on the recipe card or the share buttons on the side or bottom of the page. Come follow me on Pinterest and Instagram to see all the things that inspire me. Thank you for being here and happy baking!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave me a review or comment below. Thank you!😊
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar for dusting the cooled tart
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- For the crust: Blend, powdered sugar, all-purpose flour and salt. Then cut in the butter with a pastry blender or fork until the dough comes together. Press into the bottom of a non-greased 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Prick the dough with a fork a few times.
- Bake until the tart shell is barely brown, approximately 12-13 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly while you prepare the filling. If the tart shell has shrunk at all, use a flat bottomed measuring cup to lightly press the dough back up the sides. Use caution as the tart shell will be hot.
- For the filling: Lightly whisk the two large eggs. Then add the brown sugar and vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Add the chopped pecans, coconut, flour, baking powder and salt and stir until combined.
- Pour the filling over the prepared crust and bake an additional 20-22 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once cool, dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
Cover and store leftover pie in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
The baked tart can also be frozen for up to one month. Once fully cooled, wrap tightly and place in the freezer. Allow to defrost in the refrigerator and then bring to room temperature before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 514 Total Fat: 29g Saturated Fat: 15g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 92mg Sodium: 286mg Carbohydrates: 61g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 37g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 6g
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Be sure to tag @twosugarbugs on Instagram and hashtag #twosugarbugs