This easy bar cookie recipe is a twist on the nostalgic peanut butter and jelly flavor combination, but made nut-allergy friendly with SunButter.
SunButter and jelly bars are about to become your new go-to bar cookie recipe! These easy bars are soft and chewy and make a perfect lunch-box treat. I love that I can safely pack these treats to my daughters' schools.
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
ARE YOU WONDERING...WHAT IS SUNBUTTER?
SunButter has the consistency of peanut butter, but is made with roasted sunflower seeds. The brand has several different varieties, but I like using the No Sugar Added version. I love that it only contains two ingredients - roasted sunflower seeds and salt! SunButter is free of peanuts and tree nuts, which makes it a nice alternative to nut butters. This post is not sponsored, I am just a fan of the SunButter products! You can learn all about SunButter on their faq page.
WHAT DOES SUNBUTTER TASTE LIKE?
You might find this shocking, but SunButter tastes just like sunflower seeds! It sounds silly to actually write this out, but I was shocked the first time I tasted SunButter. I don't know what I was expecting, but I love how the flavor of the roasted sunflower seeds just shines.
HOW TO MAKE SUNBUTTER AND JELLY BARS
First you will whisk your dry ingredients and set them aside. Then you will cream the butter and sugar together before adding an egg, the vanilla and the SunButter. Once the wet ingredients are fully combined you will add in the flour mixture.
Next, you will place ⅔ of the SunButter cookie dough into a parchment lined 8x8 baking pan. The mixture isn't overly sticky so a rubber spatula works well for pressing it into the bottom of the pan.
Then you will top the base with a layer of your favorite jam before covering with the remaining ⅓ dough. You will crumble the dough over the jam and lightly press the dough into the jam layer. Don't worry if there are some small jam spots showing through.
Finally, bake the SunButter and jelly bars for 40-50 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool, cut into bars and enjoy!
HERE ARE SOME OTHER NUT-FREE RECIPES TO ENJOY
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave me a review or comment below. Thank you!😊
To pin this recipe, you can use the button on the recipe card or the share buttons on the side or bottom of the page. Come follow me on Pinterest and Instagram to see all the things that inspire me. Thank you for being here and happy baking!
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup Sunbutter
- ¾ cup raspberry (or other) jam
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or a handheld mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium until light, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the egg, vanilla and Sunbutter and mix until well combined. Scrape up and down the sides of the mixer bowl.
- With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Spread ⅔ of the dough in the prepared pan. Use your clean fingers or a spatula to get it even. Spread the jam evenly over the dough. Top with the remaining dough, crumbling the dough and covering most of the jam while lightly pressing the dough into the jam layer. Don't worry if there are some small jam spots showing through.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool and cut into bars.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- SideSwipe flat beater with flex edge for KitchenAid mixers-Artisan and other Tilt-Head Mixers, blue
- SunButter Sunflower Seed Spread - No Sugar Added - 16 oz
- KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
- Duralex 100010 Made In France Lys Stackable 10-Piece Bowl Set
- PaperChef Parchment Paper for Baking: Multipurpose Nonstick Parchment Sheets, Oven Safe, No Grease or Butter Needed, Ideal for Cooking and Roasting, Biodegradable, Kosher-Certified (205 sq ft roll)
- USA Pan Bakeware Square Cake Pan, 8 inch, Nonstick & Quick Release Coating, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 209Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 193mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 4g
The nutrition information is an estimate and may not be entirely accurate.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Be sure to tag @twosugarbugs on Instagram and hashtag #twosugarbugs