Loaded with sprinkles and topped with fluffy American buttercream. Cheerful and fun; perfect for any celebration and way better than any box mix!
Made from scratch, easy one bowl funfetti cupcakes are fun and cheerful. They are bursting with sprinkles and guaranteed to put a smile on your face! (And if they don’t, I’m not sure we can still be friends 😉)!
Disclosure | This post may contain affiliate links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change, but I may make a small commission based on your purchase.
You are going to love this easy funfetti cupcake recipe because it’s moist and fluffy and gets mixed in one bowl. It’s completely non-fussy. No worrying about room temperature ingredients and no mixer required.
WHAT EXACTLY DOES FUNFETTI CAKE TASTE LIKE?
This is one of those flavors that can be very subjective when you start asking around. I describe funfetti as buttery, vanilla-y and sprinkle-y. I also associate funfetti with a cake batter flavor. It’s like a party in a cupcake. Just look at those bright colors!
This recipe uses vanilla and almond extracts as well as a small amount of butter extract. The butter extract gives it that little kick that makes these taste like cake batter in baked cupcake form. You can find butter extract in the baking aisle where you find vanilla extract.
HOW TO MAKE EASY ONE BOWL FUNFETTI CUPCAKES
I wanted this recipe to be simple. No real planning ahead and something that doesn’t create a mountain of dishes to do afterwards. Let’s face it, I’m a mom and I just want something easy that the Sugar Bugs and I can throw together on a whim. So here goes!
First you will want to melt the butter and set it aside to cool. You’ll also want to preheat your oven and prepare a standard 12 count muffin pan with liners. This is my absolute favorite liner, but I also love a fun design like this for something more festive.
Then in a large bowl, whisk both sugars, the eggs, vanilla, almond and butter extracts, milk and sour cream. The mixture is a bit sloppy to start, but you will want to fully incorporate until well combined. Add the melted and cooled butter and whisk again until well combined. You may have some small lumps of butter that don’t incorporate, but that is okay.
Next you will add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt on top of the wet ingredients. Use a fork to lightly mix the dry ingredients together. Then using your whisk or a rubber spatula gently mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until barely combined. Gently fold in the sprinkles being careful to not over mix the batter (I prefer the jimmies so the sprinkles don’t bleed into the batter).
Finally, divide the batter between the 12 prepared liners. It’s about 1/4 cup of batter per cupcake. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean.
HOW TO DECORATE FUNFETTI CUPCAKES
Allow the cupcakes to fully cool before frosting. I typically let them cool in the pan set on a wire rack. After 10-20 minutes I remove the cupcakes from the pan and let them continue to cool on the wire rack.
An American buttercream is the perfect frosting for easy one bowl funfetti cupcakes. I used a Wilton 2D to pipe the frosting, but a Wilton 1M would also give you a similar look. You can also just hand frost them using a butter knife or an off set spatula. Top with additional sprinkles and enjoy!
Make sure to pin this recipe for later and come follow me on Pinterest to see all the recipes that inspire me.
MORE EASY RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY:
Easy One Bowl Funfetti Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar I prefer dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon butter flavored extract
- 1/2 cup milk I use 1%
- 1/4 cup sour cream full fat
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sprinkles use the jimmies, nonpareils will bleed through the batter
FAVORITE AMERICAN BUTTERCREAM
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- pinch of salt
- Melt your unsalted butter and set aside to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Prepare a 12 count muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the two sugars, eggs, vanilla, almond and butter extracts, milk and sour cream until well combined. Add the cooled, melted butter and whisk again until well combined. You may have some small lumps of butter and that is okay.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt on top of the wet ingredients. Using a fork, lightly whisk the dry ingredients together. Then using your whisk or a rubber spatula, gently mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until barely combined. You want to be careful not to overmix the batter, which is quite thick.
- Gently fold in the sprinkles.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 12 cupcake liners. It's approximately 1/4 cup of batter per cupcake, they should be about 2/3 full. Bake for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment (or a hand-held mixer) beat the butter on medium-high until smooth and creamy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add one cup of the powdered sugar. Mix on low until incorporated. Then add the remaining cup of powdered sugar, vanilla and almond extracts and heavy cream. Mix on low until fully incorporated.
- Increase the speed to medium-high and whip until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add a pinch of salt if the frosting is too sweet.
- You can also add food coloring, if desired.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Be sure to tag @twosugarbugs on Instagram and hashtag #twosugarbugs