Cornbread donuts add a level of fun to any meal! They are soft, fluffy and tender and come together in minutes in one bowl.
This easy homemade cornbread recipe is a spin on breakfast for dinner. These donuts have a hint of sweet and are so soft and flavorful. Perfect for dunking in soups and chili!
Disclosure | This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't know about you, but I'm always looking for ways to make meal time more fun. It's likely because I have two girls, who often openly share their opinions to the meal Mr. two sugar bugs or I have created.🙄. But, they always love cornbread and they find it extra special when I make it into donuts! #momoftheyear
how do I make homemade cornbread donuts from scratch?
This recipe is so EASY! It comes together in minutes in one bowl and they take about 12 minutes to bake. Easy peasy!!
I even made you a video to show you how easy it is!
In a medium bowl, add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt and whisk them all together. Then add the milk, egg and oil and whisk again until combined.
Spoon the batter into each well of a well greased donut pan, filling almost to the top. Bake 10-12 minutes, until the edges are lightly golden. Allow the donuts to cool in the pan for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire cooling rack. Bake the remaining batter (you may need to re-grease the pan).
what do you eat with cornbread?
- Pulled pork
- Baked beans (or any bean dish!)
Can you freeze cornbread donuts?
Yes! Once the cornbread is completely cool, wrap the donuts tightly in plastic wrap and then place them in a zip-top bag. They freeze well for up to three months. Allow to defrost overnight in the refrigerator.
Do you think you'll give this spin on homemade cornbread a try??
Remember to snap a picture and tag me @twosugarbugs on Instagram if you make these Cornbread Donuts. It warms my heart to see you bring these recipes to life! Thank you for being here and happy baking!
more quick bread recipes to try ~
- Apple Cider Banana Bread
- Blueberry Zucchini Bread
- Healthier Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Peanut Butter Oat Banana Bread
If you make this recipe (or any recipe!) from two sugar bugs please come back and leave a review and a star rating. I read every comment, and I LOVE hearing from you!
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour (94g)
- ¼ cup cornmeal (40g)
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar (67g)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons milk (155mL)
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (45mL)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a standard size donut pan well. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt and whisk them all together. Then add the milk, egg and oil and whisk again until combined.
- Spoon the batter into each well, filling almost to the top. Bake 10-12 minutes, until the edges are lightly golden. Allow the donuts to cool in the pan for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire cooling rack. Bake the remaining batter (you may need to re-grease the pan).
Tightly wrap any leftovers and store at room temperature for 1-3 days. Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Cornbread donuts also freeze for up to three months.
Recipe adapted from Albers Cornmeal
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 145Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 170mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 2g
The nutrition information is an estimate and may not be entirely accurate.