These white chocolate blueberry scones are tender and moist with each bite bursting with blueberries and white chocolate.
White chocolate and blueberry scones are one of life's happy indulgences! I tend to like something hearty and healthy for breakfast. Except when I'm looking to splurge. Then it's definitely on a tender, buttery and flaky scone.
Disclosure | This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I know it's Cinco de Mayo and I had planned to share margarita pie, but things got in the way. You know? Life. Kids. I'm pretty sure you all can relate with me! Before I knew it April was over and I did not have the pie ready for you. 😢
My mind had jumped to Mother's Day and scones are one of my mom's favorite breakfast treats. I asked my mom if she would rather have white chocolate blueberry scones or white chocolate lime coconut scones. She opted for the blueberry version because they sound "healthier". Love you Mom!💗
TO MAKE THE SCONES
Put ½ cup (one stick) of butter in the freezer at least 30 minutes prior to starting. I typically put the butter in the freezer the evening before. You want frozen, cold butter for the best scones.
In a medium to large bowl, place flour, brown and white sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk it all together and set aside.
Then grate your butter. I like to use my box grater. I recommend placing your grater on top of a piece of wax or parchment paper. This makes it easier to transfer the grated butter to the dry ingredients without having to warm it with your hands. The colder the dough stays, the more tender the scones turn out. Kind of like making pie dough, we want cold ingredients and to work the dough as little as possible.
Next, work the grated butter into the dry ingredients. Using a pastry cutter or a fork until the mixture looks like coarse meal.
Then whisk the heavy cream, egg and vanilla extract together and pour into butter and dry ingredient mixture. Using a spatula (I love these), lightly combine the wet and dry ingredients, doing your best to work it as little as possible.
Next, gently fold in the blueberries and white chocolate chips.
Then on a lightly floured surface (or straight onto your prepared baking sheet if you want less to have to clean😉), gently form dough into a ball. Then flatten into an 8 inch circle. Cut into 8 equal scones. Using the little bit of leftover heavy cream mixture (just what is remaining in the bottom of the bowl you whisked them in) give each scone a light brush of the heavy cream. Sprinkle with coarse sugar, if using.
Bake the scones for 20-25 minutes, until the tops are lightly golden. While the scones cool, make the white chocolate glaze. Drizzle the glaze over the mostly cooled scones and enjoy!
Tender and flaky white chocolate blueberry scones will be perfect for spoiling your mom on Mother's Day. Or for whenever you want to impress your friends or family with breakfast or brunch.
If you really want something for Cinco de Mayo. My friend Heidi, at The Frugal Girls, has you covered. For a quick, super easy and delicious treat check out her Key Lime Cake Mix Dump Cake.
Come follow me on Pinterest to see all the foods that inspire me!
White Chocolate Blueberry Scones
For the scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter frozen and grated
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries
- ¾ cup white chocolate chips
- coarse sugar optional
For the glaze
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
For the scones
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place a silicone baking mat or parchment paper on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk flour, both sugars, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Set aside
- Grate frozen butter. I find it helpful to place a piece of parchment or wax paper under the grater. This makes it easier to lift the grated butter and add it to the dry ingredients.
- Add grated butter to dry ingredients. Using a pastry cutter or fork combine until it looks like coarse meal.
- Whisk heavy cream, egg and vanilla and then add to dry ingredients. Using a spatula, lightly combine the wet and dry ingredients. Working the dough as little as possible.
- Gently fold in the blueberries and white chocolate chips.
- On a lightly floured surface (or straight onto your prepared baking pan) gently form the dough into a ball and flatten into an 8 inch circle. Cut into 8 equal scones. Separate the scones and brush each scone with a light bit of heavy cream. If desired, sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake on a prepared baking sheet for 20-25 minutes, until tops are lightly golden.
- Make the white chocolate glaze while they are cooling.
For the glaze
- Add ¼ cup of white chocolate chips to a small bowl. Heat 2 tablespoons of heavy cream until simmering, then pour over white chocolate chips. Allow the heat of the cream to melt the chips and then stir until a nice smooth consistency.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled scones.