This easy blueberry coffee cake recipe is loaded with fresh blueberries and a cinnamon sugar crunch. The cake is super moist and perfect with a cup of coffee!
I’m usually all about adding some extra nutrition to breakfast, but this one is for when you are craving cake with your morning coffee or tea. It has blueberries, so maybe we can pretend it’s healthy??
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
WHAT IS COFFEE CAKE?
Coffee cake is a classic on most American breakfast buffets. In the U.S., coffee cake is typically a single layer cake with fruit or cinnamon. The cake does not have any actual coffee in it. Enjoy it for breakfast, a snack, dessert or for a late night treat.😉
HOW DO YOU MAKE THIS EASY BLUEBERRY COFFEE CAKE?
Next, prepare the dry ingredients and the cinnamon sugar topping. Then cream together the butter and brown sugar and beat in the eggs. Alternate the dry ingredients with the milk and vanilla mixture and mix until just combined. The batter is rather thick.
Then spread about half the batter into the bottom of the prepared pan. Top with the blueberries, lightly pressing them into the batter. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon sugar mixture over the blueberries. Add the remaining batter on top of the blueberries and cinnamon sugar. It’s okay if the remaining batter doesn’t cover everything completely. Then top with the remaining cinnamon sugar.
Finally bake for about 40 minutes, until a tester comes out clean and the top is lightly golden. Allow the coffee cake to cool for a minimum of 20 minutes in the pan set on a cooling rack before serving.
can blueberry coffee cake be frozen?
Yes!! Just allow the baked cake to cool fully first. Then tightly wrap in plastic wrap and place in a zip top bag or airtight container for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator or on the counter before serving.
more breakfast recipes to enjoy!
- Banana Oat Bran Muffins
- Cherry Crumble Muffins
- Healthy Breakfast Cookies
- Healthier Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Peanut Butter Oat Banana Bread
To pin this recipe, you can use the button on the recipe card or the share buttons on the side or bottom of the page. Come follow me on Pinterest and Instagram to see all the things that inspire me. Thank you for being here and happy baking!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave me a review or comment below. Thank you!😊
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare an 8x8 baking pan by greasing it or lining it with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside. Add the vanilla to the milk and set aside. In a small bowl mix together the sugar and cinnamon topping and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or a hand-held mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar on medium-high speed for about 2 minutes. Then add the egg and beat until well blended, scrape up and down the bowl. Add 1/2 the flour mixture and mix on low until mostly blended. Add in the milk, followed by the remainder of the flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Spread about half the batter into the bottom of the prepared pan. Top with the blueberries, lightly pressing them into the batter. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon sugar mixture over the blueberries. Add the remaining batter on top of the blueberries and cinnamon sugar. It’s okay if it doesn’t cover everything completely. Then top with remaining cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, until a tester comes out clean and the top is lightly golden.
This recipe easily doubles (bake in a 9x13 pan).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Ultra Cuisine 100% Stainless Steel Wire Cooling Rack for Baking fits Half Sheet Pans Cool Cookies, Cakes, Breads - Oven Safe for Cooking, Roasting, Grilling - Heavy Duty Commercial Quality
- PaperChef Parchment Paper for Baking: Multipurpose Nonstick Parchment Sheets, Oven Safe, No Grease or Butter Needed, Ideal for Cooking and Roasting, Biodegradable, Kosher-Certified (205 sq ft roll)
- USA Pan Bakeware Square Cake Pan, 8 inch, Nonstick & Quick Release Coating, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel
- KitchenAid KHM512BM 5 Speed Hand Mixer, Black Matte
- Duralex 100010 Made In France Lys Stackable 10-Piece Bowl Set
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 145Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 268mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 2g
The nutrition information is an estimate and may not be entirely accurate.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Be sure to tag @twosugarbugs on Instagram and hashtag #twosugarbugs